Thursday, January 7, 2010

Why I read the KJV

My dh and I have sometimes received odd looks when we tell people that we only read the KJV bible - one bible is like all, right? Thankfully, we were mentored and ministered to by Faith Baptist Church and Pastor Robert Monteith in Misawa, Japan. He has since moved to another church, but his ministry will always remain in our hearts and we are forever thankful to have received sound doctrine and bible-based preaching from our first church. We can clearly see the difference between his ministry and the worldly Christians that are rampant in the US... I can only imagine what we would be teaching our children if we had never met Pastor Monteith (we wouldn't be homeschooling, that's for sure).


Through a class called Faith Baptist Institute, we learned that the different bible versions are based on different codecs and that is why they are so different.... well, recently I got curious over specifically which passages were missing from the most popular bible on the market, the NIV. There are quite a few. There are also over 64,000 single words that are deleted from the NIV (I'm guessing the writers weren't actually inspired by God so they didn't understand that the words didn't belong...). I have done some research and some people try to claim that the copyists themselves have added these verses to the KJV - I have also researched the writing of the KJV (I have a book if you want to borrow it) and I find it very hard to believe that a single copyist's note would have made it through the rigorous process these scholars and translators put the bible through from 1604-1611. These men did not joke around and did not add verses on whim... The NIV bible was released in 1978 and was translated to "modern language" (can that be considered a translation?) by Biblica. I'm willing to bet a shiny penny that those people in 1978 WERE the type to joke around and add verses on whim... And it bothers me just a bit that this bible that so many people are transfixed on has only been around 31 years - not very long in the run of things.

Here is a list of the verses that are COMPLETELY GONE from the NIV Bible...

Matthew 12:47
Matthew 17:21
Matthew 18:11
Matthew 21:44
Matthew 23:14
Mark 7:16
Mark 9:44
Mark 9:46
Mark 11:26
Mark 15:28
Mark 16:9-20 (all 12 verses)
Luke 17:36
Luke 22:44
Luke 22:43
Luke 23:17
John 5:4
John 7:53-8:11
Acts 8:37
Acts 15:34
Acts 24:7
Acts 28:29
Romans 16:24
I John 5:7

Now, I don't know about you, but I certainly don't have enough confidence to tell God that these verses don't belong in the bible (some about salvation through Christ, one about the Holy Trinity...) so I'll be reading the KJV. If you read an NIV, maybe you should take a look at these verses to see if they're important to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails