I cannot take credit for these awesome books.
I mean... I made them. But I didn't originate the idea or even the individual designs.
I found each page from different places all over the web and the full credit goes to those creative moms (and MY THANKS for the sleep I got while driving from Virginia to Arkansas for CHRISTmas).
Felt in multiple colors
Buttons, shoelace, yarn, embroidery thread...
Hot glue gun
For the cover, I used fat quarters (on sale for $0.99 at Joann's). Fold it in half lengthwise, right sides together. Sew all the way around, leaving a small opening for turning. Trim corners, turn and slip stitch opening closed.
Slip Stitch Illustration
I was in a hurry when I was doing the covers (the night before our trip, as usual) so the velcro got hot glued on. I would recommend white velcro, but I had already overspent my Joann's budget so I used what I had. : ) Thank the Lord for husbands who budget. I also hot glued the cover to the binding so the girls wouldn't keep "misplacing" it.
Each page was one sheet of felt - I put a thin line of hot glue around all the edges and folded it in half to seal.
Book for 2 yr Old
Stick people (holder hot-glued)
Can you tell we're Rapunzel fans?
Color Matching (yes, that's supposed to be a palette)
Notebook Coloring page
(has a strap of felt wrapped around notebook, glued to page)
Baby hand not included.
Town with Car Garage
Barn with Animal Finger Puppets
(was all sewn with a blanket stitch and took FOREVER)
Book for 4 yr Old
More Stick People
Picnic (velcros on) - the only one I haven't finished - still needs a fork, knife and cup
Funny Face Man (already missing some eyes)
Kitchen with Counting Cupcakes
Purse with Goodies
(fastens with button, blanket-stitched)
Book for 6 yr Old
Tying Shoelaces and Buttoning Flowers
Girl with Dress-up Clothes - just don't look at her face... or hair.
(has several more outfits... somewhere)
More Stick People
(LOVE the colors and eyes Evie did)
Girl with Yarn Hair
(in hindsight, should have done full-face girl with hair that could be braided)
For the binding, I stacked all of the pages together [with all additions (notebook, crayons, car...) inside] and measured for width of binding. I cut this out from a scrap piece of felt. Then I put a line of hot glue down the inside seam of the pages and added them one-by-one to the binding, starting at the very edge. I had a bit of extra binding on one of the books but I just trimmed it off.
This was one of the most FUN projects I've done and it just didn't get boring because I was always doing something different.